Oh, sorry. Although I live 90 miles from Cuba my home town is 90 miles from Quebec, Canada where French is the official language. Let’s make it Cinqo de Mayo!!! Chicken/Cheese enchiladas and margaritas!! A nice day!!
INGREDIENTS (for 4 Enchiladas):
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine
- 1-1/4 medium onions, chopped
- 5/8 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour (add a little more of you want it thicker)
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1-1/4 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies (one whole jalapeno from the garden
- 1/8 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded 4 cheese Mexican cheese (could have used another half cup)
- 1-1/4 green onions with tops, thinly sliced (not being big onion fans i used a hand full of chives from the garden)
- Sour cream (optional, we don’t really like sour cream)
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until onion is tender. Blend in flour. Stir in broth, milk, chilies, salt and cumin. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Grease a baking dish. Spoon a little sauce in the center of each tortilla; spread to edges. Place about 2 tablespoons meat down the center of each tortilla. Combine cheeses; sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons on top of meat. Roll up tortillas and place in baking dish, seam-side down. Pour remaining sauce over. Sprinkle with green onions and remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve with optional sour cream and salsa.