I saw a video for this bread on Cookist. I found a recipe and a comment at the bottom said it was not very bananaee (my word) and they were correct. Hence, Hint ‘O Banana. It is a very nice soft loaf and easy to make. I am wondering if I upped the amount of banana in the dough if it would increase the bananaee flavor. It really is a good bread just the way it is, but if you were expecting overwhelming banana flavor, like in a traditional banana bread, you will be disappointed. Definitely NOT your, your Mama’s or your Grammies’ banana bread!
The bread has a very mild banana flavor. I wish I weighed the banana before mashing it into the dough. It was a small one. Next time I will try two small ones or one large one and adjust other liquids. I think I will modify the method to incorporate a tangzhong. Stay tuned.
Banana Bread Loaf
• 350 g Bread Flour
• 30 g Caster Sugar
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 Tbl Milk Powder
• 1 very ripe banana
• 1 egg
• 70 ml milk
• ½ tsp yeast
• 40 g unsalted butter, cubed.
- Sift flour into mixing bowl of stand mixer and add dry ingredients and mix
- Mash banana and add to mixing bowl
- Whisk egg and milk together then add to bowl
- Add yeast
- Mix on medium with dough hook until stiff dough is formed. Add additional milk if necessary
- Add cubed butter, a piece at a time, continue on mixing speed 2 for 20 min
- Knead by hand, form into a ball, tension surface
- Let rise, covered for 60 min
- Knock down dough, flatten into an oval and divide in half
- Flatten, do envelope fold, turn 90 deg and repeat envelope fold
- Form into a ball, tension surface
- Cover and let rest 15 minutes
- Butter bread trays
- Roll each ball out about 6-8” long, roll up into a batard, pinch seams and ends closed
- Roll under curved fingers slightly to tension. Don’t apply pressure.
- Cut into 1” wide pieces, but not all the way through, keeping loaf together Should be about 10 pieces
- Pick up carefully and place into bread pan
- Cover and let rise 60 minutes
- Bake at 350 for 17-20 minutes until internal temp is 195-200F
- Coated with melted butter
- Loosen bread to release from pan
- Tip out and pull apart to enjoy.