My friend, Maggie, and I have been trading recipes, tips and techniques for a while now. A couple of weeks ago she sent me this recipe for her biscuits, and it is outstanding. Making the batter takes 10-15 minutes, then 15 minutes in the oven and they are ready.
I followed her method exactly, except I cut the biscuits out with a 2” circular cutter. I then bunched the leftovers into a ball, patted them out and re-cut, twice. This provide a good sample for our Quality Assurance Department, who graded them A+
Maggie’s Six Biscuits
• 1 tsp Baking Soda
• 1 tsp Salt
• 1 tsp Sugar
• 1⁄2 tsp Baking Powder
• 1 1/2 c AP Flour
• 1 stick Cold Butter
• 3/4 Sour Milk or Buttermilk (I soured whole milk with a bit o’lemon juice)
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Cut in the butter (fingers or pastry thingie, your choice) til it’s a shaggy mess … remembering
that the less it’s messed with the flakier it’ll be.
- Once it’s at the shaggy mess stage begin adding the liquid a bit at a time until it’s a soft dough …
keeping in mind then”remembering” bit notes above.
- Knead it a tiny bit.
- Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, pat it into a rectangle about 1/2” high, spread some
melted butter on it,
- Fold in half, pat it into a rectangle about 1” high, spread some melted butter on it.
- Cut into 6 pieces, place on parchment papered baking sheet, bake at 425 for about 15 minutes.