I wanted a snack to go with football and a beer or two this past weekend and remembered this recipe in Paul Hollywood’s bread cookbook. I based my recipe on his for poppy or caraway seed or Gruyere cheese crackers but mine just uses cheddar cheese.
A couple of caveats I learned the hard way:
- Rolling the dough out thinner makes more, crispier crackers. They will puff up, especially if thick. Next time I will use the spacer rubber bands on my rolling pin to be sure they are thin and uniform.
- Make sure they are cooked through. They need to be a good golden brown. Leave them in a few extra minutes and test a thick one when you think they are done. They should be well cooked all the way through or they won’t have a good cracker snap (they will still taste great though.)
- 325 g white bread flour
- 8 g salt
- 110 g softened butter
- 45 g water
- 2 eggs
- 120 g sharp cheddar cheese
- Put the flour, salt, butter, water and 1 beaten egg into a bowl and mix for 5 min. (Stand mixer level 2)
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese and mix until well incorporated.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1-2 hrs.
- Preheat an oven to 400o fan and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured counter to about 1/8″ (no more) and cut. I used a 2″ round cutter. Place on the lined cookie sheet, brush with the second egg (beaten.) Dust with Kosher or Sea Salt and bake for 15 – 20 min.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Serve warm or cold.
Makes 30-40 crackers.
When r u going to share something Weight watcher friendly????
Sent from my iPhone
Sorry, I am not qualified to create Weight Watcher friendly foods. 🙂