I made some Olive Bread Sticks a few days ago which quickly disappeared. To follow up, I decided to design a recipe for Cheese and Jalapeño Bread Twists. I used a basic 80% hydration dough and Frances’s home made pickled jalapeños.
At the request of the QC Department, Manufacturing was tasked with making a few minus the jalapeños, which I, err… I mean they, did. Let me give you a bit of advice. If you make these bread twists, I strongly suggest having a glass of milk next to you after your second or third bite. If your peppers are anywhere near as hot as Frances’s (although she won’t think these are all that hot) you will be grateful for the advice. These are delicious. (Hot, but delicious.)
If you would like them for an appetizer or hors d’oeuvres cut them into little one inch pieces. Best if served warm.
Cheddar Jalapeños Cheese Twists
• 354g (1½ cups) warm water
• 2 Tbsp. sugar
• 1 Tbsp. yeast
• 437g (3½ cups) AP flour
• 1 tsp Salt
• 3 Tbl butter
• 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
• 1 cup finely diced pickled jalapeños
• 1 egg for wash
• Sea Salt
- Mix warm water, sugar and yeast together. Let that sit for 5 minutes.
- Add flour and salt to the water. Mix this until smooth and ferment for 10 min.
- Roll out the dough in a ~ 15 x 15” square on a floured surface.
- Brush the dough with the melted butter and sprinkle with cheddar cheese and diced jalapeños.
- Fold the dough in half. Cut the dough into one inch strips.
- Twist the one inch strips of dough and place on a cookie sheet.
- Cover with oil sprayed plastic wrap and proof for 30 min.
- Coat with egg wash and sprinkle with Sea Salt.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 min or until golden brown.