I made these cookies as the base for decorations for my NYE 2023 cake. They were so good I decided to post the recipe alone
The secret to these cookies is the black cocoa. I bought this for another project a year or so ago, but now use it regularly. If you want BLACK frosting, royal icing or other goodies, this should be your go to ingredient.
The recipe made about four dozen 2” cookies . No tricks or tips, just follow the recipe.
Black Chocolate Cookies
• 1 1/2 cups (195g) AP flour
• 3/4 cup (70g) unsweetened black cocoa powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
• 1 stick (110g) unsalted butter, room temperature
• 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
• 1 large egg
• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
• 1 teaspoon molasses
- In a large bowl, vigorously whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, (2-3 min on medium.)
- Beat in the egg, vanilla, and molasses.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in 3 additions. When well mixed, remove the dough from the mixer, and form it into a ball. It should have the consistency of soft clay. If it’s stiff and unmanageable, massage some water into it, a tablespoon at a time until easily pliable.
- Wrap it in plastic wrap, and chill it in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- When you are ready to roll-out the dough, preheat the oven to 350°F (175° C). Break off a chunk of dough from the ball of dough (about a quarter of it) and place it between two pieces of parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to an even 1/2-inch thickness.
- Use a cookie cutter or the rim of a small glass to cut out cookie shapes from the rolled out dough. Place on a parchment paper or silicone-lined baking sheet, allowing at least 1 inch between cookies on the cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350°F (175° C) in the middle rack for 12 to 14 minutes, less or more, depending on the size and thickness of the cookies.
- The cookies should bounce back when you press on their centers and be a little dark around the edges. When cool, they should be crispy.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing the cookies from the tray to cool on a rack.